Sunday, April 6, 2014

RSU Police Design Process

For this assignment, I looked up several police logos for an inspiration to re-create an RSU police logo. Whenever I think of a police logo, I think of a badge so that's what I'm going for for this logo.

This logo was retrieved from http://www.wsmr.army.mil/PAO/Pages/WhiteSandsMissileRangeClipart.aspx
I really like the shape of this badge. I definitely want to stay away from the star-shaped badge. It reminds me too much of a cartoon western or something. 


Here are my sketches based off the previous picture of the badge.



I definitely wanted to incorporate the Hillcat on the logo. Usually there is an eagle or something iconic featured on most badges so for the RSU one, the Hillcat will be featured. 

Here is my logo. The Hillcat was downloaded from http://www.rsu.edu/logos/athletics.asp. Unfortunately, it isn't a vector logo so when I choose to look at the finished logo in outlined form, the Hillcat disappears. I'll need to figure out how to convert it to a vector image. Of course the school colors are included. I used the pen tool to trace the shape of the badge and the ellipse tool to create the circles within the badge. I think it would especially look good as a patch on a uniform.


Here is the refined version of my logo.



And here it is in black and white!




After receiving suggestions, I came up with a few more designs. Although I still like my original concept, if I had to choose another design, it would probably be the new badge design. It's more simplified and to the point. I added the drop shadow instead of a color border because it simplified it a lot. 





No comments:

Post a Comment